Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Antibiotics and Meltdowns

So, here we are, third week of summer, which is ended with the 4th of July. When I was young, in elementary school, the 4th of July always felt like the middle of summer to me, when I was finally able to sleep in and not wake with a start, when I could lay under the tree in the front yard and read to my heart's content. 4th of July brought watermelon and fireworks that we bought at the stand in the parking lot of Food's Co. at the corner of Crenshaw and Artesia. By this point in the year summer was full swing, we stayed up late and wore the same clothes for days on end.

My kids, they are both sick. We are finishing a round of antibiotics this Thursday, Glee with Strep throat and Thomas with sinus infection. Both are still coughing, both still LOOK sick... I am trying to kick the cold that I got handed last in the family. X had it last week, took him out of work for a day. Both kids had it through the end of school and it seems to be lingering. Couple that with serious June gloom that leaves our house chilly enough during the morning to lounge on the couch covered in blankets until almost noon and, well, heck, it just doesn't feel like summer to me.

There was a good indication last night that we are in the midst of summer though. We spent about 4 hours yesterday cleaning out Glee's room and rearranging it to her specifications. We threw out four bags of trash (school papers and scraps she had brought home). So, rearranged and clean, she doesn't want to sleep in there because "it doesn't feel like my room anymore, and I am scared to sleep in there..." translated, after talking for about an hour to "I miss school, my friends and my teacher and things aren't the way I am used to..." so today we will play school. Well, they will play school while I clean and rearrange Thomas' room. Yes, play school. They will have work to do, then they will eat in the cafeteria (aka the backyard), have a recess, then more work. Glee will work on reading and 3rd grade math. Thomas on his printing and 1st grade math. Thank the heavens for the internet where I can print all the homework the world would ever want.

My aunt thought it was funny my kids were sad and cried when school was over. She said her three boys NEVER were sad when school was over. I am glad my kids love school that much. I hope it lasts.

Time for more coffee and some vitamins... and breakfast. Happy 4th if you don't hear from me before that.

No comments: