Thursday, August 21, 2008

Lazy days of summer

We are at the end of them, for this year anyway. From the previous post you can see things are starting to add up.

I just want to take a minute at the end of summer here to make some observations about Thomas and Glee. We haven't studied anything this summer. We haven't taken the time to learn anything new, but Glee can read anything now and her comprehension is really high. That means I have to be careful now, because she can read over my shoulder. Thomas is putting letters together, and not really reading exactly, but getting the idea of it. He has decided he wants to skateboard, and has a skateboard on the back patio he likes to play on. He is trying to do tricks like they do on tv. We need to get him a helmet at least, and probably some knee and elbow pads. Glee learned how to play Zoo Tycoon 2 this summer and has a real nice zoo going.

I am surprised by how little and how much they actually know. It's hard to remember sometimes they are only (almost) 5 and 7. I catch myself expecting more of them than I probably should, but I wonder if it expecting too much for the common sense to kick in. Today Thomas went to the bathroom, and in pulling up his underwear they got stuck. So what does he do? He just yells for me. Instead of unsticking them, he asks me to do it. No, I didn't. I told him to do it himself. If he is in school and finds himself in that situation, he has to know how to get out of it! Also today, he was drinking orange juice out of a juice bottle, and instead of using his finger to reach in to get the straw he decided to tip the bottle. I stopped it before it poured all over him, but I wonder if I should have just let it pour! So, really, it's only his common sense that it is bugging me. I guess it will come. Hmm.

No comments: