Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I just realized today...

okay, this may end up being kind of boring for most of you, but do you know how important it is to your kids to be involved in their school? I just realized today, after doing a little mental reminiscing... my younger brother was born when I was just 5, heading to kindergarten for the first time. My next brother was born the year I graduated from 8th grade. So, my mom (and my dad) were slightly preoccupied during two pretty important events in my educational life.

My mom said she was involved in PTA when I was little. She may have been, but with a baby hanging around (and then a toddler) I don't think she was all that involved, not like she thinks she was. I know I was not known among my peers' parents, not like I know Glee's friends, and their parents. Okay, this is sort of disjointed, but today, a 5th grader at school got some awards. She got them, I am sure, because she is a good student, but it sure did help that her mom AND dad are very involved in school (her dad even works for the school part time as a paraeducator). So, not to discredited her in anyway, but would she have won those recognitions if her parents were NOT involved in the school? I wonder. I wonder if I am signing away my soul to the devil known as PTA. I hope not, but I guess if this is the way I can help my kids it is what I will do. I so hate the image of a PTA parent (and from the few board meetings I actually attended, I will say it is not unwarranted). How did this happen? How did I get here? Man, I sure do ask myself that question a lot. I guess it's all in the choices we make... all in the choices. I never thought I would be one of THOSE parents, the ones who say they would do anything for their kids, but I guess I am one.

On a related topic... since when did it become a bad thing to want your kids to be smart? I mean, to be smarter than their peers? Is that arrogant? I want my kids to be smart. There, I said it. I want them to be the smartest kids I know. I want them to have all the opportunities that intelligence offers. I do not want them judged on their looks, but on their brains. I want them to have all they desire, and the best way to get that is by being smart. Clever and smart. I want them to go to the best college they can, and study something that makes them happy and keeps them curious. Come on people! Let's EXPECT something from our kids, lets expect them to excel and not do poorly. Let's expect something. Okay, Wednesday morning rant now concluded.

1 comment:

Vadergirl said...

I don't care how involved you get, you will NEVER be one of THOSE parents!

And I totally agree...if we don't have expectations of ourselves and others how will we ever move forward?