Monday, June 30, 2008

Wall-E and the beach!

On Saturday X had the great idea of going to the beach. We left about 10:30 and got home just after 2pm, and it was a perfect day at the beach. Not too hot, not too windy, surf was 1-2ft, which to Thomas looks to be about 6ft! Both kids had a blast, jumped waves, got knocked down a lot, swam sort of, and were exhausted. We came home and made some salsa and guacamole and spent the rest of the day laying around. Saturday night was national Sleep in your Backyard night, and it was going to happen, had both kids set up in the $22 tent, read some stories (library books!) and they settled in. I was going to sleep on the couch with the back door open just in case. About 8:30, just after it got dark Glee called out crying. She was "not comfortable" in the tent (?!). So in they came, upstairs to Thomas' bed where they had sleepover. By this time the sunburned I had earned at the beach was in full force. We were smart, we sunscreened with 50spf, but I didn't put any on my legs. That was dumb. The backs of my legs are toast. My left hip seemed to get the brunt of it. You never notice what you are sitting on until when you sit it feels like someone is stinging you with a thousand needles. Not nice!

So on Sunday we took the kids to "church." Even my mom calls the theater our church. I told her the other day that of churches made popcorn and let you eat during service we might switch it up once in a while! We saw Wall-E, which was quite good. The last Pixar movie disappointed me (Ratatouille), but this one has redeemed the company. It had a good and simple message about the planet, the kids were completely entertained, and I thought some of the adult references were funny (like the Lido deck!). I enjoyed it, Wall-E was quite engaging and the "female" lead, Eve, was one of the heroes, which was nice. And no kids kicked my chair at all during the movie, which was an added bonus. I also thought the mix of the crowd was interesting. I saw quite a few teenagers, mostly boys, mostly geeky boys. That was nice.

Lastly I learned something yesterday. I saw some old friends from high school, old gaming friends. I subjected my poor family to two hours of not so good times. But what I learned about myself is I really hate to hear the word no. I mean it like this... imagine this conversation...
Me: So your sister brought home some bananas?
Old Friend: No, she brought home some fruit.
Me: Oh, I see, well, did you like them?
OF: Yeah, they were okay, we ate them all.
Me: so, you DID really like them, there were a lot of them!
OF: No, we just ate them all.
Me: oh... okay... did she bring home anything else?
OF: sure, some cheese...
Me: cheese? like cheddar?
OF: No, like mild cheddar.

Well, you get the idea. This person who I saw, he was a nice enough guy I guess, but I realized that he was really contradictory, and it reminded me of who I was way back then. I had a boyfriend in high school who broke up with me because he said I argued too much. I guess I was like that too, having to be right all the time. It must have been a real control issue for me. I am aware now that I can get like that, but I do tend to let the irrelevant details slide, as long as I got my point across. And man, I have to say, there are reasons we grow away from people, and we really should recognize that! Happy Monday you all...

No comments: