Thursday, June 19, 2008

Last day...

Do you remember any of your last days of school? I was trying to remember one today and they just aren't there. I guess it was too long ago. Today is Glee and Thomas' last day for this year. Last day of first grade, last day of preschool. We get a luau for Thomas and Glee has an assembly at her school. She is so sad, she is really going to miss her friends. She truly loves school, I think to her it's like a big club she gets to go to every day.

I have to say, I am so proud of both of them. This year Glee really learned to write. I mean, you can actually READ her writing (she even told me that, she was surprised how bad it was at the beginning of the year!) and she is reading, boy is she reading. She reads every night, and reading before sleep is a HUGE treat to both kids, they would take that over dessert! She reads beyond a 2nd grade level. I only know this because she was given homework for the summer (!?). She was given a book that is 2nd grade level. She is supposed to read it, answer questions and turn the book and questions in at the beginning of the year next year. This is a hassle for one reason only. That means I have to keep track of that book and those questions ALL SUMMER. Man. Anyway, she read the first chapter of the book to me last night and she read it like it was nothing. She even made a different voice for each character. This is going to be the beginning of a serious love affair with books, I can tell! So, she can read, she can do math (I think we might work on multiplication this summer!), and she is fascinated by science.

Thomas learned to write his name, first and last this year. He is starting to read too (he says he is reading in his head, so he can't tell you what the words are). He is doing simple math. He knows his colors in English and Spanish (very amusing) and will practice writing his letters and numbers this summer. More importantly (to me anyway) he can dress himself completely, he uses the bathroom like a regular kid (doesn't ask for help anymore), and he can make his own lunch (well, he did the other day, with some direction on how to work the microwave!). Pretty good for a kid who's only 4 1/2!

So, end of school year. Take a break, right? Riiiight... I need to revamp my company website, work on my marketing materials, and get ready to launch again in September when everyone goes back to school! Oh, and this year Thomas wants to be a blue power ranger for Halloween and Glee wants to be Vicky Vampire from the Sims. I am hoping those change over the summer (and they usually do!).

No comments: