Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Return of the School Health Assistant

As some of you know, I had an issue last year when Glee started Kindergarten. As a refresher, here is the letter I never sent.

My daughter is a former “Tykes” student and attended this school last year as part of that program. The health requirements for that program are the same as for enrolling her as a kindergartner. I had to provide proof of immunization, as well as proof of a current TB test. My issue comes with the school health assistant at School.

My daughter turned 5 the day before school started. Her pediatrician has a policy (mainly for record keeping purposes) of not immunizing a child before the birthday on which those immunizations are due. I had discussed this with HA (Health Assistant) back in May, during kindergarten round up. She was adamant at the time that my daughter wo
uld not be allowed to attend school until those immunizations were received. I explained they would be completed on the first day of school and had an appointment to have the remaining immunizations given at 2pm, after kindergarten let out. HA then said my daughter would need a current TB test and after I pointed out on the shot record that I provided that her TB test was current, she relented.

I then received a phone call the day before school started stating that my daughter would not be allowed to start school because her records were not current, but if I brought the shot record on the first day then HA would allow her into school. I would be supplying a completed immunization card before 4pm on the first day of school, so I thought nothing of it. When we arrived for the first day of school my daughter’s name had been eliminated from ALL the class assignments, and her teacher had been notified that she would not be allowed into the class. As you can imagine, I was now angry. I was not the only parent having issues with this on the first day of school. I met three other parents of former Tykes who also were not being allowed into class because of immunization issues. I spoke
with HA, and she said my daughter could start school the next day if I brought in the records. Then she told another parent, whose son turns 5 in October that he could attend class and “just have the doctor fax a note the next day that immunizations would not be completed until October,” and to go on to class now. At that point, I turned around and walked my daughter to her class, explained the situation to her teacher and she set my daughter up for the day. She had had to remove her place at the table, her name tag and all evidence of her, before school started, and fortunately still had those items on her desk. Mind you, this was not how we envisioned the first day of school something my daughter had been looking forward to for months.

Just last week I received another letter from HA stating that I had not completed “Report of Health Examinations for School Entry” as required for first grade admission and that I had until December 31st, 2007 to turn in that form or my daughter could be eliminated from the first grade. It was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back and I went, again, to the office, this time to request the health waiver (form PM 171 B). I explained to HA that I would never be able to meet the constant barrage of health requirement papers nor did I want to live in fear my daughter would be kicked out of school again because of a paperwork issue. Upon hearing my request her first statement to me was that if I signed the waiver my daughter would be immediately removed from school and sent home if there were ever a health issue on campus. I am happy with that resolution. I would prefer to be informed if my daughter has come in contact with any communicable illnesses or if she has a health issue that would require her to seek the assistance of a medical person at school. I live less than a two minute walk away from the school. HA then attempted to quote the California State Regulations and said I was not clear on what the law said. I am quite clear of my rights as a parent to waive the right to have her, or any other person at the school, attend to my daughter in the event she needs medical attention. I am also very clear on the law, having read over it a number of times now.

HA's final statements to me were #1, I was the first parent in five years to request the waiver, and she would have to notify the principal of this request, again of which I am happy to hear. Maybe this will open some dialogue on how these matters are handled; #2, she told me I should take up the policy with the district, hence this letter.


Okay, so now it is time for Thomas to go... and guess who is harrassing me again. Yep, here's the letter I DID send, and now the principal wants to talk about it (someday, when it is convenient for him, which it isn't today).

Enclosed you will find a copy of the PBE Health Waiver I
submitted when I enrolled Thomas through Kindergarten Roundup. It is not a duplicate of the waiver I submitted (and should be in his file), but a new copy. Also enclosed is form PM 171 B. Please note that my husband and I have signed these waivers with a full and complete understanding of what they entail and we are also completely aware of our rights under California State Law as stated below:

Exemptions to Requirements-Personal Beliefs Exemptions
California is one of a number of states that allows a personal beliefs, or philosophical, exemption to school/child care immunization requirements. California law states that “Immunization of a person shall not be required for admission… if the parent or guardian… files… a letter
or affidavit stating that the immunization is contrary to his or her beliefs.” Any parent has the option to take the personal beliefs exemption at any time. The parent affidavit for an exemption is on the back of the child’s Blue Card; it must be signed by the parent or guardian and kept in the student’s official record. If the child has had some immunizations, record those dates as usual, if available.

Health and Safety Code, Division 105, Part 2, Chapter 1,
Section 120365
SEVENTH EDITION • JULY 2003 - CALIFORNIA IMMUNIZATION
HANDBOOK
“Although California’s law does not require parents/guardians taking the personal beliefs exemption (PBE) to state the reason(s) for their belief or the specific vaccines involved in their belief, the clear intent of the law is that the PBE option be used for deeply held personal beliefs…”

We don’t need additional education by the health staff in the office at School. We understand the implications of signing the waiver. Do not approach us again trying to convince us we do not understand our rights and that we are doing a disservice to our children. Please note that our daughter Glee has the same waiver in her file. We DO NOT want health examinations, health inspections, or medical diagnoses performed upon our children without our immediate consent or notification. We are also returning the document you presented to us in April of this year, completed, to ensure Thomas will not be subjected to the first grade health screening provided by the School District when he attends 1st Grade.

It will be interesting to see what the principal has to say, since I am done with it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to reading more! You know, when you click on your Profile, and then click on your Website, it doesn't format correctly once you get there...it may be my computer though, but I thought I'd let you know.