Friday, June 27, 2008

This week...

Glee started to learn Japanese dancing in preparation for Obon, which will happen at the beginning of August. One of the girls in our Brownie Troop belongs to a buddhist temple and they have an Obon Festival. Nine of our eighteen Brownies decided they wanted to earn a patch for the Obon Festival, and to do that you have to do two dances during Obon. So, we need to learn them. It's fascinating to me to learn something about a culture that I thought I was pretty up on! I grew up in the area we live in now, and a mile away from us is a huge Japanese community, it's been there since before World War II. I had lots of Japanese-American friends growing up. I have never been to an Obon Festival. I think it will be lots of fun. Glee stands out a little, being the only blonde in our group, and one of a few in the whole dance class! I have started to learn the dances too, since it is an all age kind of thing (they teach it in the parking lot at the temple!). Four of the other Brownie parents remember doing this when they were little, so they are leading their daughters as well as the group. When we perform in August I will make sure to video it.

No comments: